Monday, January 30, 2006

The Future of Music

Right now, I'm specifically interested in the future of the glorious music written, arranged, and performed by Santa Fe and The Fat City Horns. But, that is to a significant extent inseparable from the future of the music business itself, a business I quit in 1986 after 21 years slugging it out on stages from coast to coast. So, at the moment I'm boning up -- in Chapter 7 of "The Future of Music," a title I ran across while surfing the offerings at Berklee Press.

It's kicking my butt. Gratifying to see that they proffer so many ideas that I have long thought about, and a ton I would never have even considered. Gerd Leonhard and David Kusek are two heavy-hitter industry thinkers and culture trend analysts. If you're a player or just a devoted music fan, this is a must-read. I bought my copy at Borders; reserved it online via Amazon.com and then went and picked it up that afternoon. Very convenient. They can tell you who has it in stock if you just can't wait for shipping.

No comments: