Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Jazz Legend has departed

MAYNARD, R.I.P., my Man

When I was in high school in the early 1960's in New Jersey, us garage band cats (Johnny and the Embers) wuz' playin' Chuck Berry et al, but we were seriously listenin' to and diggin' the likes of Jack McDuff, Oscar Peterson, Sonny Stitt, Johnny Smith, and Maynard Ferguson, etc. In fact, we used to sneak into Birdland in Manhattan on fake IDs to grovel before the magnificence of Maynard (such may account in part for my reflexive horn Jones for Santa Fe and The Fat City Horns). MSNBC has the story of Maynard's passing up at the moment. Click here.

Rest in Peace, good Sir. You have inspired legions of serious players.

1 comment:

Oilfieldguy said...

Sad news, there Bobby G. I'll be in Vegas the middle of next month for my boy's 21st birthday. Maybe we can get together for a bit. See you later.