Saturday, June 02, 2007

Urban Renewal, and Nathan's big band concert

I went again to see Phil and his new band Urban Renewal last night, this time at the Clark County Government Center amphitheatre. Lighting, even. Imagine that. Hmmm...coulda tucked some of those unused parcans in my ride to bring to the gig Monday night, LOL!

Nice grid they had set up. Great sound in addition to the lighting. A few shots from the evening:

BTW- Nathan's playing some of his big band arrangements today at 2 pm at the West Las Vegas Arts Center over at Lake Mead and MLK. I'm gonna try to go, and maybe get some shots there, if they ever get finished working on my car this morning (AC blew out).

UPDATE: NATHAN TANOUYE IS A MUSICAL GENIUS

That's how guest vocalist Martin Nievera described him to the crowd this Saturday afternoon at the West Las Vegas Performing Arts Center big band concert. And, after hearing this performance (all of which Nathan arranged) and buying and listening to Nathan's CD "Crossroads" I have to agree. It's not hyperbole. He is a young musical genius.

What a great gig this was. Huge band, replete with a six piece string section and a harpist. The entire Fat City Horns, along with nearly all of their subs, were onstage. The fabulous Derek Jones of the Cirque "Ka" show (and also a Santa Fe sub when Rochon can't be there) played standup and electric bass. The Cunninghams, Don and wife Alicia, sang (she also played keyboard). They were awesome. And Martin Nievera, whom I only met today, is a major heavy hitter. Gabriel Falcon, who's been gigging with Martin, said "see what I've been telling you?"

Yep. Yep. Yep.

Some pics:

Directly above, last shot: Gabriel and "Ka" star, our friend Joerg (BTW- that's Martin in the prior shot). Just before I shot this I listened to Gil Kaupp and Joerg have a long discussion during intermission, all in fluent German. Joerg is holding a copy of Nathan's "Crossings" CD. Buy it, it is unbelievable. A tribute to the esteemed late jazz pianist and composer Russ Freeman commissioned by his widow Carolyn.

NEXT SUNDAY FYI

The Las Vegas Springs Preserve opens next weekend. It has a performance amphitheatre, and Jewel will perform the kick-off concert next Friday evening. Our friends the fabulous Steven Lee Group will perform on Sunday afternoon the 10th. I will definitely be there. If you've not heard these cats, you're missing out on some wonderful music. I have their CD and I just love it.

MONDAY MORNING CODA:

THIS JUST IN!!! Breaking news from the vital Paris Hilton Watch. She's now in the clink, and has issued a delightful mea culpa:
"I am ready to face the consequences of violating probation. During the past few weeks I have had a lot of time to think and have come to realize I made some mistakes. This is an important point in my life and I need to take responsibility for my actions. In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make. I want to thank my family, friends and fans for their continued support. Although I am scared, I am ready to begin my jail sentence."
"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make."?

WTF? Uhhh...OK.



No comments: