Thursday, January 31, 2008

Midweek updates

Below: got this in an email from our homie Robert Conti yesterday.

Robert's signature guitar series (click the image to enlarge). If you're not familiar with this cat and his domination of the chops market, check this out (from NAMM in 2001):



Yikes! Just search "Robert Conti" on YouTube and you'll find a bunch of amazing clips.

Below, Ronnie Foster and his "Funk's Way" ensemble throws down again tonight at The Ice House.

Ronnie also now appears nightly at the Salute Lounge in the new Palazzo with the thrilling guitarist John Wedemeyer. As I posted earlier, this is a very cool venue everyone should try to get out and support. The band is kickin'! BTW- John renamed the band from "Side Guys" to "The Other Side."

__________

OFF-TOPIC ERRATA

I heard an NPR segment a while back wherein the guest was talking about the physiological impacts of fasting. Fasting, as most of us know, has long been a component of many religious traditions, but, in addition to its putative spiritual aspects, it turns out to have some pretty significant biological benefits as well -- observed in routine moderation. The guest noted that
  • fasting more than a day at a time tends to be counterproductive, triggering subrosa "famine-alert" bodily reactions that tend to impel the storing of more fat and the degradation of muscle tissue, whereas;

  • routinely fasting for 24 hours [1] gives the pancreas a beneficial rest while concomitantly [2] reducing your innate Jones for sugars.
I found that all very interesting (if I can find a podcast of that NPR segment, I'll post it) When I was in high school (1960 - 1964, back prior to indoor plumbing), I weighed about 167 by the time I was a junior and senior (absurdly serving as the varsity football center, getting my ass kicked every week), a weight I pretty much retained until I hit about 30. While I've never been obese, my weight did get up as high as 191 (I think the period of omeletes and beer had a bit to do with that), which is too high for being 5'10" in height.

Even after I became a majorly insane gym rat (2-3 hrs of full-court 3-5 days a week, plus weights), I could not seem to get down below 182 or so. I pined for breaking 180, which, frustratingly, didn't seem likely to ever again happen.

In the wake of hearing this NPR piece, Cheryl and I decided to start doing a 24 hour fast once a week. We usually do it from supper to supper either starting Tuesday or Wednesday.

Been doing that for four weeks now. The other day I stepped off the scale at 175, LOL!

LESSONS LEARNED THUS FAR
  • Try to not have to go to the grocery store during the day you're fasting, haha. Yesterday we decided to make chili and a salad for supper, but were out of stuff, so I went to Smith's to get things. That was stressful; temptation barking out from every shelf.

  • Maybe "breakfast-to-breakfast" would work better. We may switch.

  • Chug some Perrier or Pellegrino during the day. Beyond the beneficial pure hydration, the gassiness helps (me, anyway) douse any emergent pangs.
Cooking supper last night was also stressful, e.g., when I make salads I usually nibble as I cut and chop. 'Ut-ut-uhhhhh, yer waitin' till 6:30, BG...'

BTW- I used ground bison in the chili this time. That stuff is way cool. Not crapped up with hormones, very low fat content, and also not shot up with water (to sneakily improve the profit margin). In fact, when you brown it, you gotta put some olive oil in the skillet (I use cast iron), or it'll just stick hard right to the pan.

I also used 3 kinds of chili powder, and always add dark red kidney beans to the pintos and peeled tomatoes. A dash of garlic salt, and a bit of dried onion flakes as well.

It was pretty yummy. We were ready to eat, too. Agony to smell that aroma as it simmered for two hours.

MORE O/T STUFF; PROUD GWANDADDY CAN'T RESIST

My Grandson Keenan (www.keenanstennis.net) was ranked 43rd in the nation in the Boys' 12 and under division in the U.S. Tennis Association when he was 12. He's now 13 and in 8th grade. He made his junior high basketball team. They started him at center during their first home game (he's #45).

He's 5'9" tall (not the tallest on the team) and is a great young athlete, a perfect gentleman, and an A student (and loves Santa Fe). This was during their initial home game Jan 29th, and below is a clip of him scoring his first bucket of the season.



GO, Keebo!!!

Here's a link to some tennis clips from fall 2006. We are all so proud of this kid.

No comments: