Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June 29th Gig at The Palms

Enrique Corro in the house!!

My friend -- and Santa Fe alum -- Enrique Corro (most recently with The Scintas and subsequently Terry Fator) opened for Jerry tonight. Jerry had gotten to The Palms by the time the band went on (we have to wait for Pepe and Dave to get in from Lion King, and we're not ever certain when Jerry will get to The Palms from his Wayne Brady gig), but Jerry had Enrique stay up on guitar for quite some time, and The Corro burned it totally up, with repeated, eminently deserved wild shouting applause after his rides.

This cat is one classy guitarist. Take a listen.

Back a couple of years ago, after I bought my first 12-string, I did a singer-songwriter open-mic night at the E-String on Sunset, first time I'd been back on stage since I quit playing decades ago (I've started writing again, so inspired by my crushingly fine Vegas friends). Enrique, Ron Crews, Joe Bergeron, and our dear sorely missed departed brother Adrian Garcia came over to my house and 'shedded some of my originals with me and did the gig with me. I will never forget it. Enrique tore ass that night too. They all did.

I'd first bumped into Enrique at a Sunday brunch smooth jazz gig Cheryl and I went to at Gordon Biersch. Cat blew me out. We talked, and have since become friends. I did not know he was comin' in tonight. What a glorious surprise.

Yeah, man. What excellence.

Great show tonight. The energy was so ramped up and taut. Props to Mike Gonzales (now our Saturday night Palace Station regular) for driving straight in to The Palms from a Huntington Beach CA corporate gig to sub for Jamie.

Scenes from a hang...

Above, LOL, Jerry was sitting on his stool singing "Come Back Home." I shot this one below his seat through his legs.

I had so much fun tonight. I hope it shows. People, we are so blessed.

UPDATE: THE ELKHART PROJECT

Very nice.
___


No comments: