Tuesday, April 01, 2008

March 31st gig at The Palms

Below, Johnny Johnson's new axe. Cat can flat play the sucker, man.

JJ had to start on guitar tonight while we all waited for Jerry and Cat Grey to get outa their traffic jam and over to the gig from from Wayne Brady show at The Venetian. I got up and introduced the band to help stall for a bit of time and pump the CD sales and pitch the blog.

Below, Tyriq stepped up on "Brother to Brother" tonight as we awaited The Lopez and Cat.

Cat (Wayne's M.D.) was subbing for Jamie tonight. Bro' plays a ton of B3, and sings his butt off as well. Glad to have him with us.

Below, Gabriel and I compared notes on our new glasses between tunes. I love mine (our Santa Fe friend Howard Adler did 'em for me). Gabe's look awesome, don'tcha think?

I'm pretty happy with that shot of Gabe. Hard to get good ones on the back riser in the poor light back there. Below, shot of the night (compositionally speaking), Rochon soloing on "Ain't That Peculiar?"

I was practically on my back on the floor tryin' to cop that shot. I'm sure some people think "who is this weirdo, crawlin' all over the place?"

Wow. Interesting to watch Rochon go at soloing in this tune. The groove is a good bit slower than those of his customary rides, requiring some mental gear shifting.


BTW- I have Rochon's website up (www.rochonwestmoreland.com). Lots of work to do there as yet. Below, another major keeper shot. Nathan Tanouye soloing out front.

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with that shot as well. More Nathan below.

OK, I'm gonna post the accrued stuff thus far, just in case anyone is waiting (it's 2:39 a.m.).

OK, more shots:

They debuted another new tune of Dave's tonight, "The Land of My Sun." It was killer.

Above, these charts are every bit the musical equivalent of double-diamond black slope runs at Snowbird. I get brain cramps just lookin' at 'em.

More...

Below, Jerry's brother-in-law Mundo sat in and threw down big-time.

Mundo Juillerat is the Principal Guitarist in the "Mamma Mia" show, and is the leader of the "Hot Club of Las Vegas" Gypsy Djazz ensemble. They have a gig coming up this Friday at the VOX Wine Lounge (2630 W. Horizon Ridge at S. Eastern in Henderson):

Please come out and support this. Cheryl and I will certainly be there.

Great night tonight. Raw. Honest ("Wishing Well" -- another first -- was especially cool). Pumped. the crowd again repeatedly howled in appreciation.

Later, troops, 3:28 a.m., I'm, fixin' to crash. More thoughts tomorrow.

Remember, Podcast 5 is up. Check it out. Enjoy.

TUESDAY: UP AT THE CRACK OF NOON

Actually I got back up about 10:30 or so. OK, tonight, Tommy Alvarado's cool Slick Wille Orchestra will be gigging at Just Jazz. BTW, There was this notice in the email attachment I got:
Cheers!

Jillian Noernberg
G.M
Just Jazz

Save 25%

PRESENT THIS COUPON ON TUESDAYS IN MARCH FOR 25% OFF YOUR TOTAL BILL. THIS COUPON HOLDS NO CASH VALUE. LIMIT ONE PER CUSTOMER. RELAX, SIT BACK, AND ENJOY A DISCOUNT ON US!

Offer Expires: 04/11/08

Just Jazz
1000 E. Sahara
Las vegas, Nevada 89104
(702) 650-0432
I guess you could screen scrap that off, dump it into any text editor, print it and take it. Tell' 'em you got it from BobbyG's blog, wherein he was touting your place.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

- Benjamin Franklin

LOL. Yeah, uh, so, I was just readin' this article hawking this book "Fermenting Revolution: How to Drink Beer and Save the World" and thought, 'yeah! now THERE'S a plan; Power To The Pilsners.'

Now, some of the stuff in the article is a bit too Birkenstock and Kumbaya for me (right: Take Down the Man, 32 oz. homebrew schooner in hand, burrrp...), but I gotta say, I do likes me microbrews. And, y'know, as part of my Santa Fe marketing and merchandising obsessing, I have been considering this:

Click the pic to enlarge. I simply Google'd "Cerveza" yesterday and found that image and quickly Photoshopped it.

No comments: