Wednesday, January 20, 2010

January 20th midweek updates

First, tonight at 10 pm we have the 3rd in the "Negrita Night" series at The Bootlegger (7700 LV Blvd S. at Robindale). Jerry Lopez, Lenny Lopez, Jamie Hosmer, Gabriel Falcon, and Tim Scott will be throwin' down. Expect some A-List guests sitting in as well. Free show, great hang.

Tomorrow night at The Bootlegger. Mundo's Hot Club of Las Vegas...

Also tomorrow night, The Cordle-Scott Band at Johnny Fontane's Beach House, 8 pm - midnight. 5130 W. Sahara.

And, Phoenix again appears at the Las Vegas Country Saloon on Fremont St.

Get out and support our cats if you can. Click links on the right-hand "Around Town" links section for more.

JUST IN, 8:30 pm

___

REBECCA JOHNSON BAND

I got this cool email today from Australia:

Hey Bobby G,

I'm Rebecca Johnson, bass player/singer from Sydney, Australia. I have my own funk/rnb/soul band, the 'Rebecca Johnson Band'. Our CD sound samples and all info are on my website which is:

www.rebeccajohnson.info (click on the CD- 'Handbrake Free Zone' to listen)

I'm a huge fan of Santa Fe & The Fat City Horns & waiting on my copy of 'When The Curtain Goes Up' which I ordered from CD Baby last week. I really love your blog site and look forward to always seeing your photos and current info and happenings relating to the band.

I was actually turned on to Rochon's bass playing about 15 years ago by Dawayne Bailey who I have played with extensively. He gave me a copy of Bill Champlin's 'Mayday' CD way back then and I have loved all of their musicianship ever since. Jerry Lopez's singing is the bomb. Of course his playing is as well... I hear this guy sing and it just kills me- what a tone, soulfulness, perfect pitch etc etc.

I've read Jamie Hosmer's entire website and totally appreciate all he writes about-not to mention his awesome musicianship as well.... can't say enough how awesome all these musicians are... I think you know that already

It's crazy being so far away in Australia but thanks to YouTube and all the amazing podcasts and pics and info you supply on this killer band, I almost feel like I know all you guys, so thought I would also make you aware of myself and my music.

Would you mind if I send you my CD in the hope you may use a track or 2 in your podcasts :-)

We sell it on CD Baby as well as the website but would love to reach a wider audience especially people that are into the funk.

I've listened to all your podcasts and been turned onto some awesome artists that you've featured as well as all the great live snippets of SFFCH. Never stop doing what you do: It is way appreciated.

Look forward to hearing back from you :-)

RJ

Very cool. We need way more women on more axes in the funk world. I will most certainly feature her in my next "Friends of Santa Fe" podcast. Here's a quick stream-rip sample of her work.




Also, again, please note this upcoming event I'm helping with:

My copy of the book came from Amazon.com recently. It is really fine.
___

BREAKING!
BOBBYG 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICK IN THE NEW AABA!

New basketball league open to whites only, to get away from the ‘street-ball’ played by ‘people of color.’

A new professional basketball league called the All-American Basketball Alliance (AABA) sent out a press release on Sunday saying that it intends to start its inaugural season in June, with teams in 12 U.S. cities. However, the AABA is different from other sports leagues because only players who are “natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league.” AABA commissioner Don “Moose” Lewis insists that he’s not racist, but he just wants to get away from the “street-ball” played by “people of color” and back to “fundamental basketball.” Lewis cited the recent incidents of bad behavior by NBA players, implying that such actions would never happen with white players...

LOL! Fucking unbelievable. I'm not making any of that up.**

I'm viable for the Cracker League. Ask Keenan whether Gwandaddy Got Game. Ask Ronnie Foster.

Is this a great country, or what?

Oh, uh, but, hmmmm..., wait: I have a black kid...Oops. So much for my new tenure as 2-Guard Grand Wizard.
** Y'know, IANAL, but this is probably illegal employment discrimination. Hiring "whites only"? How 1950's, morons.
___

THURSDAY UPDATE

I'm gonna go back to The Bootlegger tonight to cover the Hot Club's performance. I think I'm gonna wait to do a 2-nights recap post tomorrow. Last night was great fun, though the crappy weather made for a fairly small crowd. Stay tuned...

BREAKING NEWS

We're gonna be at The Trop at least through March. :)

Dancando No Paraiso



Yikes. Props to Kurt & Cyndy Kolstad for the link.
___

No comments: