Thursday, June 25, 2009

Jacko, R.I.P.

Michael Jackson has died
at UCLA Medical Center.

Wow, 50 years old. Cardiac arrest. Our condolences to the family.



Below: I just got this in an email from our brothers Yellow Brick Road.

Michael, Farrah, Big Ed....
Thanks for the memories...We won't forget you.
___

OTHER NEWS

Joerg from "Ka" handed out these cards Monday night at our Palms gig:

They got a nice write-up in the Sun:
Strip performers star in Cirque dancer’s show

By Melissa Arseniuk
Thu, Jun 25, 2009


The oldest profession is once again being redefined, thanks to “Zumanity” co-star Wassa Coulibaly’s sexy-yet-playful play-in-progress, “The Art of Prostitution.”

The hour-long production has been tweaked and retweaked several times now but Coulibaly and her cast of Strip show entertainers, including performers from “Ka,” “O,” “Zumanity,” “Believe,” and “Le Rêve,” are back once again to allure and arouse late-night audiences

The scantily clad cast will take to the Onyx Theater’s stage at 1 a.m. early June 30th to tempt, tease and perhaps teach ticketholders a thing or two about buying, selling and sharing love.

Through its numerous incarnations, “The Art of Prostitution” has consistently sold out and tickets for the upcoming single-night showing of the latest version are limited (the venue seats just 96 people, after all). Still, advance passes are available online and at the Rack for $20...

JAY LENO ROLLING STONE INTERVIEW EXCERPT

Pretty cool guy, simply a real cat:
RS: In addition to doing the show every week night, you also perform stand-up about 160 days a year?

JAY: To me, it's like going to a gym. If you're going to walk around with two hours worth of material you can't keep it in your head. Musicians can go into their studio and play for their own amusement. But you can't stand in front of the mirror and tell jokes. You have no audience, you're not getting any feedback, and so much of comedy happens when you're out there ad-libbing based on the energy you get from the crowd...
____

ON "SHOW BUSINESS" GENERALLY

... Showbiz is not that hard. People make it difficult. The problem starts when you have all the money. I don't need all the money. It's just my wife and me. I've said this 1 million times and it's clichéd, but I've never touched a dime of TV money. I put it in the bank and live off the money I make as a stand-up comedian. That keeps me honest. There are other people in late-night that make way more than I do, and that's fine with me. If you're in it for the money, you'll always get screwed.

ON NEGOTIATING THE NEW NBC SHOW AFTER THE END OF HIS TONIGHT SHOW RUN

RS: If you had an agent, he would've told you, "let's try to get a counteroffer and start a bidding war."

JAY: Yeah, it's stupid. My thing is I always make a couple of bucks less than whomever the highest-paid guy is. You can't eat the whole pie. If you eat all the pie, you'll get fat, choke and die. If you give someone else some pie -- then you have all these friends who were thrilled because you gave them a little piece of pie. It's not that hard.

RS: Did you always feel this way, or did your philosophy develop over time?

JAY: I always enjoyed every aspect of the business. When I was 19, I was working in strip clubs and I thought, "I'm 19, there are naked girls at my job, and I'm making $15-$25 a night." My friends were at Wendy's or something, and they were covered in peanut oil. At whatever level you're at, that's what it is. You can't look at it like, "oh, Jerry Seinfeld has gotten that or Robin Williams has got this."

RS: Is there anything you're wistful about? Like, "this is the last time I'll be on the stage," or...

JAY: No, I mean, I enjoy it, and I love the people, and it's fine. But what happens the day we leave? A truck comes through here and knocks all this down, and it ceases to exist on any level, anywhere. It's gone. So, you can't grow attached to it.

The first thing about show business is, you don't fall in love with a hooker. I have the same wife. I have my same high school buddies and friends. I enjoy this immensely. It's a wonderful experience, and I like being here. But most people in the industry aren't friends. They're acquaintances. None of them give you a ride to the airport. That's really the test: the ride to the airport.

Yeah, man...
___

BTW...

So, I know a lot of our peeps are doin' Facebook. So I reactivated my account with them (I'd canceled it in the wake of a "privacy"dust-up they had):


While I'm dubious about its utiity, I'm there now, mostly to help in our hustle for the band. Also, in this regard, I'm doin' the Twitter thing as well. Even more dubious about that. But, whatever...


No, I will not be "tweeting" from my cell phone.

Also, I'm on LinkedIn (as is Cheryl):


Who has time to keep up with all these platforms?
___

FROM THE "YOU COULDN'T MAKE THIS [BLEEP] UP" DEPT

News item:
On Saturday, Pat Buchanan hosted a conference to discuss how Republicans can regain a majority in America. During one discussion, panelists suggested supporting English-only initiatives...The discussion ridiculed Judge Sotomayor for the fact that she studied children’s classics to improve her grammar while attending college. The panelists also suggested that, without English as the official language, President Obama would force Americans to speak Spanish.

One salient feature of the event was the banner hanging over the English-only advocates.

LOL! un hombre bobo e imbécil.

No comments: