Sunday, March 04, 2007

"The ever so funky Phil Wigfall..."

PHIL WIGFALL DAY on 97.1 FM with RIC & JACKIE GOULD

This was great fun for me to come and cover Phil's interview. First of all Jackie and Ric Gould are the nicest people, and their Sunday jazz show is so fine. Everyone should tune in, 8 a.m. to noon Sunday mornings for the best jazz playlist in the city. We so appreciate their support for quality music and players.

And, Phil! What a great guy, beyond being the inspiring sax ace that he undeniably is. During the interview interludes he filled me in on his intellectual / philosophical underlay for his wonderful Cosmic Soul CD -- Milton's "Paradise Lost." Makes total sense. One smart, thoughtful cat.

OK, buy "Cosmic Soul" here at CD Baby (click the title).

Above: that shot is one I did a year ago after I got Phil's CD, for a blog post (exactly one year ago) featuring him that Micki J wrote up for me. IIRC, I just flopped it open on the slate table in my back yard on top of some sheet music and shot it hand-held, and threw it into PhotoPaint.

Also, Phil has new solo material underway for a new CD, check out some of the tunes on his MySpace page at www.myspace.com/philwigfall. (I love his choice of pictures, LOL!).

Below, some pics from today's interview, and a short clip I did in movie mode in the Fuji and converted to YouTube format.

OK, with respect to the YouTube clip below, I apologize for [1] the hand-held "Nausea Cam" wobbliness (hey, it's a small still camera, and I was also tryin' to not be distracting to them), and [2] the noisy audio. There were some loud portable blowers running out in the hall outside Ric's studio for some reason. The live studio mics must be nicely gated, 'cuz the studio door was open, but I'm sure the ambient noise didn't make it to air.

CODA SHOT, just for grins

Below: They got this large, cool framed collectible Jimi Hendrix art piece on the wall out in the hallway at 97.1. I walked up and shot it, cropped it, sepia'd it, just 'cuz I dug it.

DON'T FORGET!

The healing resumes tomorrow night in The Lounge at The Palms at 10 p.m. Join us (more new material on tap, I am told). I'll be stayin' late again, RIF-raff that I now am, LOL!

UPDATE: FUNNY STUFF FROM BRO' JOE BERGERON

Some of the artists of the "60's" are revising their hits with new lyrics to accommodate aging baby boomers. They include:
  • Herman's Hermits- Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Walker.
  • The Bee Gees- How Can You Mend a Broken Hip.
  • Bobby Darin- Splish, Splash, I Was Havin' a Flash.
  • Ringo Starr- I Get By With a Little Help From Depends.
  • Roberta Flack- The First Time Ever I Forgot Your Face.
  • Johnny Nash- I Can't See Clearly Now.
  • Paul Simon- Fifty Ways to Lose Your Liver.
  • The Commodores- Once, Twice, Three Times to the Bathroom.
  • Marvin Gaye- Heard It Through the Grape Nuts.
  • Procol Harem- A Whiter Shade of Hair.
  • Leo Sayer- You Make Me Feel Like Napping.
  • The Temptations- Papa's Got a Kidney Stone.
  • Abba- Denture Queen.
  • Tony Orlando- Knock 3 Times On The Ceiling If You Hear Me Fall.
  • Helen Reddy- I Am Woman, Hear Me Snore.
  • Leslie Gore- It's My Procedure, and I'll Cry If I Want To.
  • Willie Nelson- On the Commode Again
'NUTHER UPDATE: BOOTLEGGER GIG TONIGHT

Been a good day. Phil's cool 97.1 interview this morning, and then tonight Cheryl and I went to The Bootlegger to listen to the incredible Bobby Black, with special guests The Las Vegas Tenors, Sandra Benton, and the fabulous Clint Holmes stepping up to scat with Bobby. A few pics (nailed the close-up of Clint pretty good, given that I had to bail to flash in the dim light):

Nice. Place was packed, Standing-O at the end. The Las Vegas Tenors lit it up with their "312-song medley," as Bill Fayne called it.

No comments: