Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Suck it up and throw it down

Jamie was not well tonight, and struggling to sing. Jerry was in fine form as usual overall, but was also straining at the pipes after a week of gigging every night with Michael Grimm. I feel ya, my brothers. Back in the days when I was gigging (prior to the invention of indoor plumbing and cigarette ventilation, Old School cat that I am), I kept a sore and tight throat all the time, it seemed (I got to be borderline nodal right before I hung it up). I used to tuck a Hall's menthol/eucalyptus cough drop back in the corner of my jaw to help my pipes get through singing on the gigs (always kept packs of 'em in my guitar case).

Dissolved a lower molar. Dentist just ended up pulling the cratered stump that was left.

So, I was empathically wincing tonight. Ya gotta give it up, though, they sucked it up and threw it down. The musical energy was again just stoooopid. Man! Those charts! And, that hump! We were SRO and howling again. Another healing night. Lotta enthusiastic (and deserved) standing-O's. The new arrangement of Gino Vanelli's "Brother to Brother" was again just off-the-scale thunderingly, numbingly fine. Nathan's chart just blows me away.

One upshot of Jamie's struggle was a to-the-rescue guest vocal stint by the awesome Abe LaMarca. Wow.

Abe and his wife Christine. Thank you, bro', that was really, really fine. Below, some more pics from the evening:

Above: my best shot of the night, I think. This wasn't my best night behind the lens overall.

Above: Our good bro' and A-List cat Joe Bergeron jumped up to add some percussion.

Above: props and thanks to Eric Tewalt for subbing for Phil Wigfall tonight, in blazing fashion!

Above: Sonny, of New World Audio, running the front of house.

Above: the beautiful (and incredibly talented) Elisa Furr and Taylor Michaels in the house. Elisa and I have been trading MySpace emails for quite a while, but had never met prior to tonight (Taylor, we gotta get you up on MySpace). My total pleasure. Wish Cheryl was here to meet you (she's off back east on bidness for the next 3 weeks, bummer).

Below, Taylor with "Menopause the Musical" star Sandra Benton.


Below: heading home to do the blog thang (put the camera down, Gladd). I love it here. I am blessed to have come to know this incredible band and their many friends and fans, and all the rest of you great performers. I am continually humbled and grateful.

OK, it's 3:45 a.m., gonna finish my glass of Pinot Noir and crash. BTW- Steve Tuminello's MUSIC SEEN column over at Dave Siefkes' Las Vegas at its Best site catches a lot of nightlife stuff I'll never have time to keep up with. And Dave's ABOUT TOWN updates are equally cool. Keep up the great work, my friends.

TUESDAY UPDATE

OK, John, my Dad's roomie in the nursing home down in Florida is a quadraplegic cat that operates a laptop with a pointer he holds in his teeth (very inspiring dude). He sends me humorous emails all the time. Just sent me this funny cartoon. I may have to put this tune in my acoustic book, LOL!



NURSIN' MY LOGGINS JONES

I just bought another 12-string acoustic axe, a huge black Fender D16.


Lovin' it. Big, fat, full sound. Been workin' on a solo arrangement for Kenny Loggins' "Heart to Heart" today. Gonna be interesting to pull this one off credibly. This is one badass tune. Check the video clip below, from Kenny's 1991 Grand Canyon concert DVD. That's Herman Matthews on tubs and Marc Russo (formerly of the Yellowjackets) on alto. The chick percussionist is Vickie Randle of The Tonight Show band. The clip below that one is "Sweet Reunion." (same show) Man, those vocals! A few years back Kenny opened his evening outdoor show at Green Valley Ranch with it, came out from the rear, singing in the crowd as he worked his way to the stage, slappin' 5's all the way (I got mine). I will never forget it.



I make no apology for my Loggins Jones. Cat has been seriously throwin' down for decades, fluff pop hit rep notwithstanding.

WEDNESDAY UPDATE by JOE BERGERON
A 2006 study by Texas A&M University found that the average American walks about 900 miles per year.

Another study by the American Beer Institute found that Americans drink an average of 22 gallons of beer a year.

This means, on average, Americans get approximately 41 miles per gallon. Not bad!
My mileage was never that good, Joe. But, I eventually pretty much switched to French wine and single malt Scotch 'cuz'a the calorie thingy.


No comments: